At Sorman & Frankel, Ltd. we believe that many cases can be resolved without going to court. In many cases, where the parties have already initiated litigation, mediation can be extremely useful and allows us to help resolve the dispute between the parties who then settle the pending case by reaching a mutual understanding in a fraction of the time it takes to resolve that same dispute in court. This allows our clients to save on court costs, attorneys’ fees and headaches. Mr. Sorman is approved as a mediator in the Chancery and Domestic Relations Departments for Cook County, Illinios; Small Claims cases and Mortgage Foreclosure matters in Lake County, Illinois.
The goal of mediation is to provide an impartial third party and to guide both sides to a mutual agreement. Mediation is about efficiency—how can we make this problem least detrimental to every party and avoid the time and expense that litigation entails. The most important aspect of litigation is to assist in defining what each party wants and simultaneously what each party needs. Mediation is not a substitute for attorneys and many times we work with the parties and their laywers in reaching a succesful resolution to the problems encountered by the parties. In fact, if any or all of the parties have their own private attorneys those lawyers are welcome additions to the mediation process.
Today, mediation suggestions aren’t prevalent but we believe they should be. During mediation, we provide useful and knowledgeable advice to help relieve a dispute as quickly and painlessly as possible. Some of the benefits of mediation include:
- Finding the best way to make both parties content
- Reaching a solution in a fraction of the time of taking the case to court
- Reaching a solution at a fraction of the cost of bringing a dispute to court
- We’re only here to help so neither party has anything to lose by talking to a mediator
- If after mediation, there is still no resolve, the dispute can still be taken to court We hope that you consider mediation as a possible solution to your legal situation before opting to take a case to court.
Types of cases we handle through mediation (including but not limited to the following):
- Family Law
- Financial Issues including child support and maintenance
- Neighbor disputes
- Student/Teacher disputes
- Business disputes between owners, shareholders
- Retail/Commercial disputes between customer and vendor
- Landlord - Tenant
- Condominium Board/Owner Disputes